Questions to Ask AIT Vendors
To make your experience at the Forum as productive as possible, you may use these questions as conversation starters when visiting with vendors in the exhibit hall.
How the Data Can Be Used
- How can I use UID data within my own company?
- Can I track GFP within my facility with UID?
- What can I do with all the data I will be gathering? What can I use this information for?
Creating a UID Number
- How do I begin the process of creating a UID number?
- What information must be contained within the UID number?
- What are the differences between the UID format types, and how do I know which one(s) to use?
Marking and Labeling Items with UID
- I’m marking the item today; won’t that marking method also be appropriate for UID?
- What is the correct way of marking a part given the environment the part is exposed to?
- If either direct part marking or data plates/labels will work, then how do I decide?
- What do I need to know about adhesives?
- Can I use my existing marking equipment?
- How can the IUID marking process be integrated into my current operations?
- Can I use multiple marking technologies in my facility?
- What are the factors for selecting the right marking technology?
- What are the pros and cons of each marking technique?
Verification and Validation
- What is verification? What is validation?
- Who is responsible for verifying labels, marked parts, or both?
- Can one verifier be used for marks on all types of items?
- Do you use parts with any curved surfaces?
- Must I verify each mark that is printed?
- What must I do to correct a mark that cannot be read?
Registration of UID Items
- What does or doesn’t have to be registered in the DoD IUID Registry?
- What is WAWF and how does it support UID registration requirement?
- What are the pros and cons of sending UID data through WAWF vs. direct to the IUID Registry?
- What is the process to obtain access to the IUID Registry?
- How do organizations manage IUID data updates once UIIs are entered?
- Who else can access the information and why?
Managing UID Data
- How do I manage UID data along with item pedigree data?
- How does the data management change whether I’m managing end item deliverables, GFP, or legacy items?
- What’s the best way to manage embedded or parent/child relationships?
- How do I manage UID lifecycle events?
- What’s the difference between virtual UII’s vs. physically marked UII’s and how does that affect me?
- How does managing UID data for compliance fit into my existing information systems and business process?
RFID Label Printing
- How does RFID relate to UID?
- Can I use one printer for both UID & RFID labels?
- What MUST I know about RFID technology in order to use it for shipments?
- Is RFID mandatory and what does it cost?
UID Compliance Systems
- What is required to get operational at multiple locations?
- How long does it take to get up and running?
- What are installation and training requirements?
- How are changes to the DoD requirements updated?
- As my requirements increase, how do I increase the number of sites and/or users for the system?
AIM North America, AIT Alliance - 724.742.4473 - www.aitalliance.org